05 July 2008

Don't Drink and Run!!!




So, I think the title of this post says it all! Typically the day before I am going to run distance I have had a no drinking rule. Seems logical and smart right? Well, what happens when the day before is a national holiday that is centered around barbeque's and good ol' American drinking? DRINK! of course. So, I thought I was playing it cool...I would go to Casey's for his indoor BBQ (he doesn't have a grill), limit my cocktail consumption, and set a bed time of 10pm. I should have known I was in trouble by two signs two things; 1) Casey called from the store to ask me what kind of vodka I wanted, 2) I was about to go to Casey's and if you know Casey aka Marge, then you know he can toss a few back if you know what I mean. (love you Casey) So after too many cocktails and walking over to see the fireworks which didn't start until 9:15 we went to where else? Big Chicks! This should have been the third sign I was in trouble, but hey after Casey-cocktails I threw the rules out the window. Now if you want a good time and a good cocktail, hit Big Chicks! It was about midnight when Big Chick's calls midnight and hands everyone a free shot! I did my shot and had a moment of sanity and bolted for the door and into the nearest taxi (I think I stole some one's taxi, sorry). Next thing I know I am in bed and my alarm is going off telling me it is 6:30am!!! I really had a moment where I strongly considered not going to the run this morning, I think it was the room spinning that was talking to me...So as I lay there I thought about all the people who would be at the run, and about my mission and somehow I pulled myself together to go to the run. At the run-site I found my pace "group" member Holly who admitted to having a rough night as well. Perfect! We were both hungover so it made for quit the run. Somehow we huffed, puffed, and sweat our way thru and actually finished 5 minutes ahead of our time. I have to say I don't think I have ever sweat so much! My shirt was dripping...I probably could have rung it out and made a few cocktails. So here this...I am not drinking before another long run or race! I can't imagine if we would have had to do something like 15miles in that condition.
Keep in mind why I am running. I am running as part of the AIDS Marathon. Please sponsor me by visiting my donation page

1 comment:

Holly Dee said...

You are gonna have to show me how to dress up my blog. I mean...madonna?

awsome.

:) you are linked...i'm late on my last blooooog. stupid booze and chicago summers.